Hello, today I want to share one of my favorite childhood baked treats with you. Cream Puffs ! Every birthday I used to eat tons of these and I still love them.
I thought they were hard to make but it is actually not that hard. It just takes a lot of time and consitency stirring in the eggs. The dough gets flaky and you might think “what did I do wrong ?”, but then just keep stirring and it will get nice and creamy.
I made tiny cream puff bites because they are easy to eat and they look so adorable :). I experimented with different fillings. I filled some with raspberry whipped cream, they were really tasty. Then I just made some regular ones and some with banana slices. In the ones with the banana slices you could also add chocolate Sauce, that tastes really good.
There is some problems I had though. The first batch I made I keep in the oven not quite long enough. I keept it in for about 5 more minutes than the recipe said, but when I took them out they just collapsed kind of ( they lost half of their size and were not baked fully on the inside).
Which means I had to put them back in. I just turned the heat down a little and left them in for quite some time. Just make sure they are nice and golden all over and baked on the inside.
Also leave enough space inbetween each one when you pipe them onto the parchement paper. They will increase in size. I put a glas with water in the oven too, so the air keeps moist. This will help the dough rise.
- 250ml milk
- 60g butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 150g of flour
- 4 eggs
- about 400g of heavy cream
- flavors for the cream like raspberries (optional)
- Bring the milk, butter and salt to a boil. Take of the heat and stir in flour. Place back onto the heat and keep stirring until the dough dosen`t stick to the pan anymore. Let cool down a little.
- Stir in the eggs one by one (This might take some time). Fill the dough into a piping bag with a star tip. Squeeze walnut sized dabs onto a parchement paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes at 390°F/200°C. Until they are golden brown.
- Let them cool down and cut through the middle.
- For the filling whip the heavy cream and add flavors as wanted. Fill the cream puffs with it. Place the top on the cream and enjoy.